Strike affects normal life in Manipur
Imphal: Normal life was affected in Manipur Monday due to 18-hour general strike called by major insurgents organisations.
The Coordination Committee (CORCOM), formed by seven major insurgent organisations, has been calling a general strike on every October 15 for past some years to protest merger of Manipur with India.
Educational institutions, banks and several private offices were closed, while government offices were open but attendance was affected as buses did not run, official reports said.
Markets, shops, business establishments and entertainment houses were closed, while transport services between Manipur and neighbouring states and within the state were cancelled.
Police and security forces were deployed at various parts of the state particularly in four valley districts of Imphal East, Imphal West, Thoubal and Bishenpur.
The strike, called last midnight, would end at 6:00 pm.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dausa car crash: Hema Malini injured, child killed; MP's driver booked for over speeding
- Islamic State trying to gain foothold in Pakistan-occupied Kashmir: Army
- Kapil Sharma shares pic with Salman Khan; ‘Comedy Nights...’ to go off air
- WATCH: Roger Federer mesmerizes centre court crowd with a 'tweener lob'
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions