Strike affects normal life in Manipur
Imphal: Normal life was affected in Manipur Monday due to 18-hour general strike called by major insurgents organisations.
The Coordination Committee (CORCOM), formed by seven major insurgent organisations, has been calling a general strike on every October 15 for past some years to protest merger of Manipur with India.
Educational institutions, banks and several private offices were closed, while government offices were open but attendance was affected as buses did not run, official reports said.
Markets, shops, business establishments and entertainment houses were closed, while transport services between Manipur and neighbouring states and within the state were cancelled.
Police and security forces were deployed at various parts of the state particularly in four valley districts of Imphal East, Imphal West, Thoubal and Bishenpur.
The strike, called last midnight, would end at 6:00 pm.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Exclusive chat with Ranchi's visually challenged singer Tumpa Kumari
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K, one BSF jawan killed in Kupwara
- Mass failure in DU exam: HRD Minister Smriti Irani asks officials to enquire
- Suspicious Iranian boat seized off Kerala coast, Pakistani ID card recovered