Strike affects normal life in Manipur
Imphal: Normal life was affected in Manipur Monday due to 18-hour general strike called by major insurgents organisations.
The Coordination Committee (CORCOM), formed by seven major insurgent organisations, has been calling a general strike on every October 15 for past some years to protest merger of Manipur with India.
Educational institutions, banks and several private offices were closed, while government offices were open but attendance was affected as buses did not run, official reports said.
Markets, shops, business establishments and entertainment houses were closed, while transport services between Manipur and neighbouring states and within the state were cancelled.
Police and security forces were deployed at various parts of the state particularly in four valley districts of Imphal East, Imphal West, Thoubal and Bishenpur.
The strike, called last midnight, would end at 6:00 pm.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Give up terrorism and let’s talk', Sushma Swaraj's reply to Nawaz Sharif at UNGA
- Lalu Yadav attacks PM Modi over Mahatma Gandhi's assassination
- Whole world is worried about global warming and climate change, says PM Modi
- Bihar will celebrate two Diwalis in 2015, one will be after poll results: Modi
- Is Mahatma Gandhi's name slowly fading away from the minds of the youth?
- Mahatma Gandhi: Know six things you didn't know about him
- World can now see consequences of Pakistan occupation in PoK: India
- Watch: Unbelievable! Kapil Sharma thrown out of Aishwarya Rai’s vanity van
- 1st T20: India vs South Africa – Players to watch out for
- Know who replaced Katrina Kaif in film opposite Jackie Chan