Strike partly affects normal life in Manipur
Imphal: Normal life was partly affected in Manipur on Friday, the first day of the two-day general strike called by a local committee to protest the killing of a truck driver, an official report said.
According to the report, shops and markets were closed in some places including Imphal area.
Transport services were also cancelled between Imphal and district headquarters because of the strike called by Joint Action Committee (JAC) which began from midnight last.
Driver S Babu was killed when unidentified gunmen opened fire at his truck on April 17 at Charoi area along Imphal-Jiribam National highway Number 53, officials said.
No individual or group has claimed responsibility for the crime.
Police said they would investigate whether it was connected with monetary demand from the truck owner by some militants.
The JAC was formed by local residents of Ssmurou area in Imphal west district from where Babu hailed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- LIVE: Videos of Indian casualties on Pakistani channels 'doctored', say Army sources
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof