Strike partly affects normal life in Manipur
Imphal: Normal life was partly affected in Manipur on Friday, the first day of the two-day general strike called by a local committee to protest the killing of a truck driver, an official report said.
According to the report, shops and markets were closed in some places including Imphal area.
Transport services were also cancelled between Imphal and district headquarters because of the strike called by Joint Action Committee (JAC) which began from midnight last.
Driver S Babu was killed when unidentified gunmen opened fire at his truck on April 17 at Charoi area along Imphal-Jiribam National highway Number 53, officials said.
No individual or group has claimed responsibility for the crime.
Police said they would investigate whether it was connected with monetary demand from the truck owner by some militants.
The JAC was formed by local residents of Ssmurou area in Imphal west district from where Babu hailed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands
- Porn survey: Delhi no 1; 'animal porn' in Pune