Strike partly affects normal life in Manipur
Imphal: Normal life was partly affected in Manipur on Friday, the first day of the two-day general strike called by a local committee to protest the killing of a truck driver, an official report said.
According to the report, shops and markets were closed in some places including Imphal area.
Transport services were also cancelled between Imphal and district headquarters because of the strike called by Joint Action Committee (JAC) which began from midnight last.
Driver S Babu was killed when unidentified gunmen opened fire at his truck on April 17 at Charoi area along Imphal-Jiribam National highway Number 53, officials said.
No individual or group has claimed responsibility for the crime.
Police said they would investigate whether it was connected with monetary demand from the truck owner by some militants.
The JAC was formed by local residents of Ssmurou area in Imphal west district from where Babu hailed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read