Suspected Maoists snatch away carbine from police
Tinsukia/Sibsagar: Suspected Maoist elements
shot at Assam police personnel and snatched away their carbine
at Sadiya in Assam`s Tinsukia district along Arunachal Pradesh
Four police men of the 19 battalion, deployed at
Ambikagiri border outpost (BOP), were returning on two motor
cycles after their security duty at nearby Durga Puja pandals
when two gun men fired at them, police said.
Two of the policemen sustained bullet injuries on their
legs, the police said.
When the security men fell down, the assailants snatched
away a carbine and fled away, they said.
The injured police men identified as Nitul Gogoi and Ajit
Buragohain were admitted to Assam Medical College Hospital in
neighbouring Dibrugarh district.
Combing operations had been launched to nab the culprits,
the sources said.
Ruling out the possibility of ULFA behind the incident
as "they are not known for snatching away carbines", the
police suspected Maoists to be involved in the incident as
Maoists had a prsence in the area bordering Lower Dibang
district of Arunachal
The involvement of the ULFA was not suspected as they are
not known to snatch away carbines, the sources added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Mother beats her infant son in Bareilly, tries to strangulate him
- Women can enter inner sanctorum of Haji Ali Dargah: Mumbai HC
- Watch: PM Modi's speech on Transforming India at NITI Aayog
- Mysterious fever claims 12 lives in Noida within 15 days
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah
- Curfew in several areas of Kashmir ahead of planned march
- No ''tech traces'' of American University attack found: Pakistan to Afghanistan
- Intex unveils Cloud Tread smartphone for multi-taskers at Rs 4,999
- India vs West Indies, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, venue, TV listing, live streaming
- Need to change laws, speed up processes to transform India: PM Narendra Modi