Suspected militants lock school gate, demand money in Imphal
Imphal: Militants locked a private school after the owners failed to pay Rs 30 lakh as extortion in Imphal West district of Manipur, officials said on Saturday.
The militants locked the main gate of Ram Krishna Higher Secondary School at Ghari area on the outskirts of the capital yesterday but the lock was broken by angry local residents.
Officials and people of the state have appealed to the militant outfits not to disturb the academic atmosphere in the state.
Sources said different militant outfits have been hurling bombs and grenades at school complexes in various parts of the state particularly in four valley districts of Imphal East, Imphal West, Bishenpur and Thoubal for failure to meet their monetary demands.
A senior teacher of the Ram Krishna Higher Secondary School said the principal had received several phone calls in the past some days from a caller, who identified himself as a cadre of Kangleipak Communist Party-Military Council Lamyanba Khuman faction asking the principal to arrange the payment of their monetary demand of Rs 30 lakhs.
"How can the school authorities pay such a huge demand," he said, adding that the school was set up some years ago to cater to the needs of poor rural students.
Students and teachers, who arrived at the school yesterday morning, organised a sit-in at the nearby community hall and appealed to the militants not to disturb the smooth functioning of the school.
Local residents, who broke the lock, also joined the sit-in protest.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- I believe this election will punish the old govts that spoiled Bihar, says PM Modi
- DNA: 50-lane traffic jam in China during national holiday
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Why CBI is worried about Indian men’s lust for violent porn
- What's happening in Noida! Now, a Dalit family resorts to nude protest
- Bihar Assembly Elections: Opinion poll predicts absolute majority for Modi-led NDA
- Mother Teresa’s Missionaries of Charity orphanages to be derecognised?