Suspected militants lock school gate, demand money
Imphal: Militants locked a private school after the owners failed to pay Rs 30 lakh as extortion in Imphal West district of Manipur, officials said today.
The militants locked the main gate of Ram Krishna Higher Secondary School at Ghari area on the outskirts of the capital yesterday but the lock was broken by angry local residents.
Officials and people of the state have appealed to the militant outfits not to disturb the academic atmosphere in the state.
Sources said different militant outfits have been hurling bombs and grenades at school complexes in various parts of the state particularly in four valley districts of Imphal East, Imphal West, Bishenpur and Thoubal for failure to meet their monetary demands.
A senior teacher of the Ram Krishna Higher Secondary School said the principal had received several phone calls in the past some days from a caller, who identified himself as a cadre of Kangleipak Communist Party-Military Council Lamyanba Khuman faction asking the principal to arrange the payment of their monetary demand of Rs 30 lakhs.
"How can the school authorities pay such a huge demand," he said, adding that the school was set up some years ago to cater to the needs of poor rural students.
Students and teachers, who arrived at the school yesterday morning, organised a sit-in at the nearby community hall and appealed to the militants not to disturb the smooth functioning of the school.
Local residents, who broke the lock, also joined the sit-in protest.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read