Suspected ULFA militants hurl grenade
Sibsagar: Suspected ULFA insurgents lobbed a grenade at Assam Rifles personnel escorting a school bus in upper Assam`s Sibsagar district Tuesday morning but none was injured in the attack, police sources said.
All the school children and security personnel are safe, the sources said.
At around 7.30 am an Assam Rifles vehicle with its personnel as usual was escorting its school bus with children studying at the Kendriya Vidyalaya at Nazira when the militants lobbed the grenade at them at Kenduguri.
The grenade, however, exploded at a distance away from the school bus and escort vehicle without hitting them resulting in the providential escape of the children and the security men, the sources said.
Kenduguri is about three km away from the house of ULFA chairman Arabinda Rajkhowa, who is out on bail now having started the peace talks process with the Centre.
A group of anti-talk ULFA militants under the leadership of Pradip Gogoi had sneaked into Sibsagar district through the porous Nagaland and Arunachal Pradesh inter-state border for setting up camp here to resort to subversive activities, the sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers
- Pakistan releases 163 Indian fishermen as goodwill gesture
- Washington Mayor calls Michelle Obama 'gorilla face', says 'she is attractive only to monkey man Barack'
- Drishyam earns Rs 17 cr in 2 days, Bajrangi clocks Rs 283 cr
- 'Baahubali' becomes first non-Hindi film to cross Rs 500 crore