Suspected ULFA militants hurl grenade
Sibsagar: Suspected ULFA insurgents lobbed a grenade at Assam Rifles personnel escorting a school bus in upper Assam`s Sibsagar district Tuesday morning but none was injured in the attack, police sources said.
All the school children and security personnel are safe, the sources said.
At around 7.30 am an Assam Rifles vehicle with its personnel as usual was escorting its school bus with children studying at the Kendriya Vidyalaya at Nazira when the militants lobbed the grenade at them at Kenduguri.
The grenade, however, exploded at a distance away from the school bus and escort vehicle without hitting them resulting in the providential escape of the children and the security men, the sources said.
Kenduguri is about three km away from the house of ULFA chairman Arabinda Rajkhowa, who is out on bail now having started the peace talks process with the Centre.
A group of anti-talk ULFA militants under the leadership of Pradip Gogoi had sneaked into Sibsagar district through the porous Nagaland and Arunachal Pradesh inter-state border for setting up camp here to resort to subversive activities, the sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Are educational institutions becoming a tool to showcase anti-national agendas?
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Maharajganj
- 15-year old girl stabbed to death in Mumbai
- DU Student Clash : Confrontation among students becomes sensitive, AISA to carry flag march today
- DNA: Post demonetisation, India records 7% GDP growth rate in Q3
- Gurmehar Kaur row: Girl who got 'Shiva stole' gift from PM Narendra Modi says she got rape threat from Congress politician
- Muslims should be cremated, there's no space to bury 20 cr people: BJP MP Sakshi Maharaj
- Yogeshwar Dutt takes a dig at Javed Akhtar after being called 'a hardly literate wrestler'
- Gurmehar-ABVP ruckus: Virender Sehwag represents BCCI not India, says Umar Khalid
- No AC, mattress for Sasikala in prison, confirms DIG; may not be shifted to Chennai jail