`Tainted` leader re-inducted in Tripura cabinet
Agartala: Amid the boycott of the opposition members in assembly, former minister for Food and Civil Supply Sahid Chowdhury, who was dropped from the Left
Front ministry in Tripura following allegations of links with
a Bangladeshi arms dealer, was on Sunday re-inducted in the
Governor DY Patil administered the oath of office and
secrecy to Chowdhury at a simple ceremony at Raj bhavan here.
Chief Minister Manik Sarkar and all his cabinet
colleagues were present at the oath taking ceremony.
The leader of opposition, Ratan Lal Nath yesterday met
the Governor and advised him not to administer the oath of
office to Chowdhury alleging he had links with Bangladeshi
arms dealer and HUJI activist Mamun Mia.
Chowdhury, who also held the office of Food and Civil
Supply and Minority Affairs, had resigned in April 2008 from
the cabinet in the wake of media report that he had alleged
links with Bangladeshi arms dealer Mia.
Mia was sentenced to 10 years imprisonment by the
Chief Judicial Magistrate court here for forging documents to
secure Indian citizenship.
The report of alleged link between the 54-year-old
Chowdhury and Mia had rocked the state politics since 2008.
However, Chowdhuri`s link with the Bangladeshi arms
dealer is yet to be proved.
He was elected to the assembly three times from
Boxanagar in West Tripura and was inducted as minister in
We demanded to the chief minister that a CBI inquiry
be recommended for proper investigation, but the CM ordered a
CID inquiry which was nothing but an eye wash to cover up the
truth", he told reporters.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena's diary reveals disturbed relationship with parents: DNA reports
- Shameless cheating in exams, when will Bihar learn?
- Setback for Air India as 30 Boeing 787 Dreamliner pilots resign
- Sheena case: Indrani quizzed jointly with Peter, denies killing daughter
- Trade unions` strike hits normal life across India
- Sonakshi Sinha silences Twitter troll for calling her ugly and it's epic!
- Furkan, not Tiger Memon, arrested in Pakistan
- Modi effect! Pakistan-occupied Kashmir wants to be part of India
- Sheena Bora murder saga: 12 questions that police asked Peter Mukerjea during 12-hour grilling?
- Sunny Leone steamy condom ad (uncensored): Watch why this video is making news