`Tainted` leader re-inducted in Tripura cabinet
Agartala: Amid the boycott of the opposition members in assembly, former minister for Food and Civil Supply Sahid Chowdhury, who was dropped from the Left
Front ministry in Tripura following allegations of links with
a Bangladeshi arms dealer, was on Sunday re-inducted in the
Governor DY Patil administered the oath of office and
secrecy to Chowdhury at a simple ceremony at Raj bhavan here.
Chief Minister Manik Sarkar and all his cabinet
colleagues were present at the oath taking ceremony.
The leader of opposition, Ratan Lal Nath yesterday met
the Governor and advised him not to administer the oath of
office to Chowdhury alleging he had links with Bangladeshi
arms dealer and HUJI activist Mamun Mia.
Chowdhury, who also held the office of Food and Civil
Supply and Minority Affairs, had resigned in April 2008 from
the cabinet in the wake of media report that he had alleged
links with Bangladeshi arms dealer Mia.
Mia was sentenced to 10 years imprisonment by the
Chief Judicial Magistrate court here for forging documents to
secure Indian citizenship.
The report of alleged link between the 54-year-old
Chowdhury and Mia had rocked the state politics since 2008.
However, Chowdhuri`s link with the Bangladeshi arms
dealer is yet to be proved.
He was elected to the assembly three times from
Boxanagar in West Tripura and was inducted as minister in
We demanded to the chief minister that a CBI inquiry
be recommended for proper investigation, but the CM ordered a
CID inquiry which was nothing but an eye wash to cover up the
truth", he told reporters.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31