Tawang monastery threatened by landslides
Itanagar: Existence of the world famous Tawang Monastery in Tawang district of Arunachal Pradesh, bordering China, is under threat due to recent landslides in the area.
Unprecedented heavy rainfall continues to trigger 4-5 meter landslides around the monastery for the past several days causing concern for the district administration, officials said on Sunday.
State Chief Secretary Yeshi Tsering, along with Tawang Deputy Commissioner Kemo Lollen, visited the landslide affected areas near Tawang Monastery on Saturday to take stock of the situation.
The deputy commissioner informed the chief secretary about completion of drainage system for proper disposal of the sewage water of the monastery.
Tsering expressed concern about the unusual landslide which could also obliterate the very existence of the monastery.
The team later visited Kangteng Nala, nine km from Tawang, the area where the landslide culminates, bringing with it huge boulders and mud.
The chief secretary stressed on initiating a multi-pronged and multi-disciplinary action to protect the age-old monument. He said that a high level technical committee would be constituted to study the problem of the site.
The Tawang Monastery was built in 1681. It is a witness to the history of the area since the last 400 years. It is one of the largest Buddhist monasteries in India and attracts a large number of visitors every year.
The monastery is also an important centre for Buddhist learning and cultural studies.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Modi govt plans Rs 2,000 crore package for refugees from PoK
- Watch: Baloch, Sindhi leaders hold joint protest against CPEC in London
- India in Olympics: PM Modi forms task force to improve Indian sports
- Watch: President confers Khel Ratna to PV Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa and Jitu Rai
- I have made many fashion blunders: Karisma Kapoor
- Hyundai to bring hybrids to India by next year
- Los Angeles Police say reports of gunfire at airport were false alarm, 'Zorro' detained
- Happy Birthday Dhyan Chand: 10 interesting facts you must know about India's hockey legend
- AAP-Sheila Dikshit trying to suppress Rs 400 crore water tanker scam: BJP