Tawang remains cut off by heavy snowfall
Itanagar: Life came to a standstill in
Tawang district in Arunachal Pradesh due to heavy snowfall in
the past few days.
The district bordering China, recorded 1-ft of
snowfall in the past two days, with temperature dipping minus
four degree Celsius, official sources said here on Friday.
Roads to Tawang and its adjoining areas including Sela
Pass have been blocked by heavy snow from the rest of the
state since Wednesday.
The markets remained closed in the district and people
preferred to remain indoors due to intense cold and snowfall.
Though the district administration has pressed its men
and machineries to clear the road at Sela Pass, the continuous
snowfall is proving to be an impediment, sources said.
Heavy snowfall is also recorded at Mechukha Valley in
West Siang district since Wednesday affecting normal life.
The blizzard which lashed the valley left the entire
township under a thick blanket of snow.
The valley has not received much snowfall in recent
years and this season’s snowfall is reportedly the since 2005.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Massive storm at JNU over Afzal Guru as 'anti-India' slogans raised; university orders disciplinary enquiry
- Superstar Shah Rukh Khan's CPL franchise is now Trinbago Knight Riders
- India mourns Lance Naik Hanumanthappa Koppad's death: Who said what
- Came to Mumbai from Pakistan to select 26/11 attack sites, David Headley tells Mumbai court
- ISI trains JeM, LeT terrorists: Former Pak president Pervez Musharraf