Tawang remains cut off by heavy snowfall
Itanagar: Life came to a standstill in
Tawang district in Arunachal Pradesh due to heavy snowfall in
the past few days.
The district bordering China, recorded 1-ft of
snowfall in the past two days, with temperature dipping minus
four degree Celsius, official sources said here on Friday.
Roads to Tawang and its adjoining areas including Sela
Pass have been blocked by heavy snow from the rest of the
state since Wednesday.
The markets remained closed in the district and people
preferred to remain indoors due to intense cold and snowfall.
Though the district administration has pressed its men
and machineries to clear the road at Sela Pass, the continuous
snowfall is proving to be an impediment, sources said.
Heavy snowfall is also recorded at Mechukha Valley in
West Siang district since Wednesday affecting normal life.
The blizzard which lashed the valley left the entire
township under a thick blanket of snow.
The valley has not received much snowfall in recent
years and this season’s snowfall is reportedly the since 2005.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister