Tea garden labourer killed in Assam
Mariani: A labourer was today shot dead allegedly by unidentified men at a tea garden in Assam`s Jorhat district bordering Nagaland, police said.
A group of heavily armed miscreants from Nagaland stormed into the Naginijan tea garden in Mariani and fired on labourers working in no:2 line killing one of them and injuring some others, they said.
The miscreants fired for nearly an hour before escaping to neighbouring Nagaland, they said.
Senior police and civil officials have rushed to the spot.
On May 23, five labourers of the same tea garden were kidnapped by suspected militants from Nagaland, but returned the next day after the Assam police asked their Nagaland counterpart to ensure their release.
Local Congress MLA Rupam Kurmi, who had gone to inquire about the incident the next day, was allegedly assaulted by CRPF personnel following which Kurmi`s supporters went on a rampage, damaging several vehicles and gheraoing the police station.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Are separatists scared with 'Dangal' girl Zaira Wasim's success?
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city
- Army orders modern helmets for jawans, can withstand bullets fired from short range