Tea garden labourer killed in Assam
Mariani: A labourer was today shot dead allegedly by unidentified men at a tea garden in Assam`s Jorhat district bordering Nagaland, police said.
A group of heavily armed miscreants from Nagaland stormed into the Naginijan tea garden in Mariani and fired on labourers working in no:2 line killing one of them and injuring some others, they said.
The miscreants fired for nearly an hour before escaping to neighbouring Nagaland, they said.
Senior police and civil officials have rushed to the spot.
On May 23, five labourers of the same tea garden were kidnapped by suspected militants from Nagaland, but returned the next day after the Assam police asked their Nagaland counterpart to ensure their release.
Local Congress MLA Rupam Kurmi, who had gone to inquire about the incident the next day, was allegedly assaulted by CRPF personnel following which Kurmi`s supporters went on a rampage, damaging several vehicles and gheraoing the police station.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state