Ten militants involved in SP`s killing nabbed in Nagaland
Diphu: Ten United Peoples Liberation Army (UPLA) militants, including its c-in-c and deputy c-in-c, allegedly involved in the killing of an Assam Superintendent of Police have been nabbed in Nagaland, the police said.
The insurgents were apprehended last night from Two and Half Mile area of Dimapur along the inter state border during an operation launched jointly by Assam and Nagaland police personnel, the police said.
Besides arms and ammunition, two laptops, a printer and UPLA demand letters were recovered from the militants, the police said.
The insurgents had fled to the neighbouring state during police operations against them in Hamren area of Karbi Anglong district of Assam where the SP and his personal security officer were gunned down during an encounter with the underground outfit on Thursday night, the police said.
The 10 ultras included the newly formed UPLA`s `commander-in-chief` Nikunja Kathar, `deputy c-in-c` Langning Terang, its `foreign secretary` Bali Rongphar and Bijay Milik, Joseph Enjay, Sarkari Timung, Bidya Tissue, Bijoy Sing Timung and Mensing Engti, they said.
The ten rebels have confessed to the police about their involvement in the incident leading to the SP`s death and on the basis of their statement the arms and ammunition were recovered by the police, the police said.
SP Nitya Nanda Goswami of Hamren police district was leading an operation against the insurgent outfit in remote Rongthang forest area on Thursday night where they came face to face with a large group of the ultras who fired at them killing them on the spot.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- J Jayalalithaa passes away: Know what all she left behind in assets