Ten percent increase in panchayat seats in Sikkim
Gangtok: The delimitation process for the upcoming two-tier panchayat elections in Sikkim, scheduled for this year end, has been completed by the department of Rural Management and Development.
Panchayat ward-wise voters lists have also been compiled by the State Election Commission, official sources said.
After the delimitation for Territorial (Zilla Panchayat) and Gram Panchayat Units, there has been a 10 percent increase in the number of seats this time.
The territorial wards for Zilla Panchayat have been increased to 110 from 93 (32 for East, 28 each for South and West and 22 for North District).
Similarly, 13 new Gram Panchayat Units have been created in the new delimitation process resulting in the increase of 161 Gram Panchayat Units in 2007 to 174.
The number of wards for Gram Panchayat Units has also increased to 987 from 889 wards in 2007.
“After carving out Bazaar areas into notified urban areas under Gangtok Municipal Corporation and the five Nagar Panchayats, the State Election Commission with the cooperation of RMDD has carried out fresh delimitation for rural areas for both Territorial and Gram Panchayat Units in Sikkim,” State Election Commissioner SK Gautam said.
He said that the polling dates were yet to be finalized, explaining that the dates for September cannot be confirmed in view of the ongoing monsoon season.
The State Election Commission will finalise the dates after due consultation with all political parties and Rural Management and Development Department, which is the nodal department for the Gram Panchayats, Gautam said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened