Tension in Manipur: Govt office set ablaze
Imphal: Office of the Additional Deputy Commissioner (ADC) of Ukhrul district of Manipur was set ablaze by some miscreants, reports claimed Thursday.
Some miscreants set afire the (ADC) office yesterday, reports said.
They said police would investigate whether the incident was connected with some organisations which had called for indefinite blockade on national highways and against the elections to Autonomous District Councils (ADCs) in Manipur hills.
The two phase ADCs election (May 26 and June 2) concluded yesterday, sources said adding that in spite of boycott call given by some Naga organisations, the turnout was recorded more than 90 per cent.
In spite of opposition from Naga organisations, elections to six ADCs -- Ukrhul, Tamenglong, Chandel, Senapati, Churachandpur and Sadar Hills districts -- ended without any problem, reports said.
They said All Naga Students Associations Manipur had called indefinite economic blockade on National Highway 39 (Imphal-Dimapur) and 53 (Imphal-Silchar) about two months ago against the ADCs elections saying enough monetary power was not given to ADCs, a charge strongly denied by the state government.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far
- China ship carrying 458 on board sinks in Yangtze River: Five dead, hundreds missing