Tension in Manipur: Govt office set ablaze
Imphal: Office of the Additional Deputy Commissioner (ADC) of Ukhrul district of Manipur was set ablaze by some miscreants, reports claimed Thursday.
Some miscreants set afire the (ADC) office yesterday, reports said.
They said police would investigate whether the incident was connected with some organisations which had called for indefinite blockade on national highways and against the elections to Autonomous District Councils (ADCs) in Manipur hills.
The two phase ADCs election (May 26 and June 2) concluded yesterday, sources said adding that in spite of boycott call given by some Naga organisations, the turnout was recorded more than 90 per cent.
In spite of opposition from Naga organisations, elections to six ADCs -- Ukrhul, Tamenglong, Chandel, Senapati, Churachandpur and Sadar Hills districts -- ended without any problem, reports said.
They said All Naga Students Associations Manipur had called indefinite economic blockade on National Highway 39 (Imphal-Dimapur) and 53 (Imphal-Silchar) about two months ago against the ADCs elections saying enough monetary power was not given to ADCs, a charge strongly denied by the state government.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Robert Vadra explains Facebook post, denies insulting Parliament
- Shashi Tharoor condems Yakub Memon's hanging
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez