Thirteen Bangladeshis held in Tripura
Agartala: Thirteen Bangladeshi nationals were arrested Sunday in Tripura on charges of illegally entering India, police said.
"The MTF (mobile task force) troopers arrested the 13 Bangladeshi citizens from different parts of the capital city and presented them before a local court, which sent them to jail," police spokesman Nepal Das said.
Das said that the illegal entrants were detained under the Indian Passports Act and would be sent back to Bangladesh after completion of their 14-day jail term.
The intruders, who might have crossed the border looking for jobs, are residents of Chandpur district of Bangladesh.
Earlier this month, police detained 27 Bangladeshi nationals, including seven women and six children, and sent them back to their country after they served their jail terms here.
Since last year, Tripura Police have also detained 23 Myanmarese nationals.
Tripura shares an 856-km border with Bangladesh, manned by the Border Security Force. Dense forests in large parts make the border porous and vulnerable to illegal cross-border movement.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Coimbatore: PM Narendra Modi unveils 112-foot tall bust of Lord Shiva
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Zee Media Exclusive: In conversation with BJP President Amit Shah
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...
- BMC poll results: Shiv Sena approaches Congress for pact, party says 'not interested'