Thirteen Bangladeshis held in Tripura
Agartala: Thirteen Bangladeshi nationals were arrested Sunday in Tripura on charges of illegally entering India, police said.
"The MTF (mobile task force) troopers arrested the 13 Bangladeshi citizens from different parts of the capital city and presented them before a local court, which sent them to jail," police spokesman Nepal Das said.
Das said that the illegal entrants were detained under the Indian Passports Act and would be sent back to Bangladesh after completion of their 14-day jail term.
The intruders, who might have crossed the border looking for jobs, are residents of Chandpur district of Bangladesh.
Earlier this month, police detained 27 Bangladeshi nationals, including seven women and six children, and sent them back to their country after they served their jail terms here.
Since last year, Tripura Police have also detained 23 Myanmarese nationals.
Tripura shares an 856-km border with Bangladesh, manned by the Border Security Force. Dense forests in large parts make the border porous and vulnerable to illegal cross-border movement.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- Army camp attacked in J&K's Kupwara; three JeM terrorists, one civilian killed
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Aamir Khan's 12-day mystery: From lauding Modi's 'positive India' to dubbing India as 'intolerant'