Thomas inaugurates FCI godown in Manipur
New Delhi: Union Food Minister K V Thomas Wednesday inaugurated a new FCI godown with a capacity to store 5,000 tonnes of foodgrains in Manipur.
State Chief Minister Okram Ibobi Singh was also present at the inaugural ceremony.
At present, Food Corporation of India (FCI) has five depots with a capacity to store 33,090 tonnes of foodgrains in the state.
"Every revenue district in the state will have at least one FCI godown," Thomas said in a statement.
FCI, the central nodal agency for procurement and distribution of foodgrains, is effectively ensuring foodgrains meant for public distribution system reaches Manipur despite geographical and infrastructural bottlenecks, the statement said.
The Corporation annually supplies 2.35 lakh tonnes of grains to the state to meet the demand of 4,06,593 PDS beneficiaries, it added.
Thomas is on his tour to North East to review preparedness of seven states in this region to implement the ambitious national food security law.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof