Three earthquakes hit Meghalaya, Assam
Shillong: Three earthquakes shook parts of Meghalaya and Assam within eight hours Tuesday, triggering panic among residents. No casualties were reported.
The first tremor measuring 4.1 on the Richter scale with its epicentre at Barpeta region in Assam was felt at 12.43 am in Meghalaya and Assam, an official at the Central Seismological Centre here said.
Another light intensity tremor measuring 3.4 on the Richter scale hit Shillong, the state capital of Meghalaya, at 7.52 am, while the third tremor with 2.4 magnitude on the Richter scale hit Shillong again at 8.16 am, the official said.
The epicentres of both the earthquakes were located 22 km away from the Central Seismological Centre at Upper Shillong.
Seven northeastern states are considered by seismologists to be the sixth most earthquake-prone belt in the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajinikanth's 'Kabali' releases early morning at 6 am in Mumbai!
- Jharkhand: Zee Media honors ten environmentalists with Green Warrior Award
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley?
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley? - Part II
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley? - Part III
- Divide and rule by Beijing throw ASEAN into disarray
- Una incident: Gujarat Chief Secretary says accused made video for 'fun'
- Last day of Mi 2nd Anniversary Carnival: Grab Xiaomi Mi Max at only Re 1
- AAP MP Bhagwant Mann defends posting video on Facebook, says has done nothing to risk Parliament security
- ‘Angel’ Taher Shah upset with Varun Dhawan, denies right to use song?