Three earthquakes hit Meghalaya, Assam
Shillong: Three earthquakes shook parts of Meghalaya and Assam within eight hours Tuesday, triggering panic among residents. No casualties were reported.
The first tremor measuring 4.1 on the Richter scale with its epicentre at Barpeta region in Assam was felt at 12.43 am in Meghalaya and Assam, an official at the Central Seismological Centre here said.
Another light intensity tremor measuring 3.4 on the Richter scale hit Shillong, the state capital of Meghalaya, at 7.52 am, while the third tremor with 2.4 magnitude on the Richter scale hit Shillong again at 8.16 am, the official said.
The epicentres of both the earthquakes were located 22 km away from the Central Seismological Centre at Upper Shillong.
Seven northeastern states are considered by seismologists to be the sixth most earthquake-prone belt in the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- Samajwadi Party feud intensifies: Shivpal Yadav sacked, Ramgopal Yadav expelled - As it happened
- At 500 kilograms, is this 36-year-old the world's heaviest woman?
- Crisis in Samajwadi Party: 'Helicopter kya tumhare baap ka hai?' - Why Shivpal Yadav asked this to a man in audience
- Akhilesh Yadav's big revelation - 'Amar Singh said something big will happen in October in Samajwadi Party'