Three GNLA militants held
Shillong: Three militants, including a woman, of the outlawed Garo National Liberation Army (GNLA) were arrested from South West Khasi Hills district of Meghalaya, BSF sources said here on Sunday.
Acting on a tip-off on the presence of GNLA cadres in Karaigora area of the district, BSF and the state police commandos conducted a raid and captured 20-year-old Kumari M Sangma along with her child last evening from Lower Puksora village.
Later, on the information provided by her, the security forces apprehended another GNLA cadre identified as Chota N Sangma (30) of the same village and an over ground worker of the outfit identified as Rot N Mena Sangma (20) from nearby Parchring village, the sources said.
A 0.22 mm revolver and six GNLA demand notes were seized from the three who, the police said, confessed that they were GNLA cadres and were involved in extortion and other militant activities in the district.
The Centre has categorised the GNLA as an outlawed terror organization in January this year. It is involved in kidnapping, abduction and extortion and killing of security forces and civilians in at least five western Garo Hills district.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- The inside story of IC-814 hijacking
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown