Three GNLA operatives arrested
Shillong: Three hardcore cadres including a self-styled personal security officer (PSO) of the banned Garo militant outfit Garo National Liberation Army (GNLA) were arrested from the state`s capital.
The trio were identified as Rajesh M Marak of Chokpot, South Garo Hills, who is also the self-styled PSO of the outfit`s area commander Phili Bot, Herison K Sangma from Mandagabil, North Garo Hills and Mital M Marak of Ringku, East Khasi Hills District, East Khasi Hills District police chief M Kharkrang said here today.
They had joined the outfit in 2010.
"The arrest was made after an intensive surveillance launched while acting on inputs that a group of GNLA cadres had come to the city for refuge," he said.
The three were arrested from Iew Mawlong parking lot in the city while they were heading towards Ringku, a village along the Indo-Bangla border in East Khasi Hills District.
The SP said though the three told the Police that they had come to the city to visit their relatives, the main motive for their coming to Shillong was nothing but to take refuge due to the ongoing intensive anti-insurgent operations being carried by the Meghalaya Police in different parts of the five districts of Garo Hills region.
While no arms were recovered from them, Kharkrang said Rs 28,790 in cash, black squad uniforms and mobile phone sets along with a huge number of SIM cards were seized from them.
The Police have taken a serious note on the number of SIM cards being sold without valid documents, the SP said.
"We are going to track down those mobile retailers who are engaged in supplying SIM cards without valid documents," SP (City) Vivek Syiem told reporters.
"The three have been forwarded to the court and were remanded to 14 days police custody," Kharkrang informed.
He said, "Not only are these operatives taking refuge, but Shillong is a place which acts as a facilitation centre for many militants for striking arms deals. We will not allow this."
The Police had arrested three persons including a top leader of another militant outfit from Garo Hills Achik National Volunteers` Council from a hotel in the city last week.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference