Three human traffickers convicted by court
Aizawl: Three human traffickers, who had sold four Mizo girls into brothels in Mumbai, were convicted by a court in the Mizoram-Assam border Kolasib district.
Chief Judicial Magistrate Michael Lalrinsanga Sailo on Saturday sentenced Zodingliani alias Tedingi alias Rosy to seven years and a fine of Rs 3,000 and also said that the latter would be in prison for additional one month and 20 days if she fails to pay the fines.
The Magistrate also sentenced Gopal Dhokal Mandal, originally from Jharkhand and who has been running brothels in Mumbai, to six years imprisonment and a fine of Rs 5,000.
Mandal would serve another two months if he fails to pay the fine, the judgement said.
Another accused Shabit Hasta Thapa, husband-accomplice of Zodingliani was also convicted for one year imprisonment and a fine of Rs 1,000 and would serve additional 20 days if he fails to pay the fine.
The prisoners were charged and convicted under section three, four and five of the Prevention of Immoral Traffic Act, 1956.
As Mandal is also wanted in Mumbai in connection with forced prostitution in that metropolitan city and would serve his sentence in Mumbai while being tried in the city court there, sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop good communication skills for a successful life?
- Curfew lifted from 4 districts of Kashmir valley
- Recently launched Pokemon Go gaining extreme popularity among users
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- AAP MLA Amantulla Khan arrested for misbehaving with a woman
- Audience don't judge stars with box office numbers: John Abraham
- 'Madaari' is outstanding, says Deepika Padukone
- Three Taliban commanders arrested in Afghanistan's Samangan province
- Kamal Haasan still under medical care in hospital
- Kashmir unrest: Policeman injured in Burhan Wani protest dies, death toll rises to 46