Three human traffickers convicted by court
Aizawl: Three human traffickers, who had sold four Mizo girls into brothels in Mumbai, were convicted by a court in the Mizoram-Assam border Kolasib district.
Chief Judicial Magistrate Michael Lalrinsanga Sailo on Saturday sentenced Zodingliani alias Tedingi alias Rosy to seven years and a fine of Rs 3,000 and also said that the latter would be in prison for additional one month and 20 days if she fails to pay the fines.
The Magistrate also sentenced Gopal Dhokal Mandal, originally from Jharkhand and who has been running brothels in Mumbai, to six years imprisonment and a fine of Rs 5,000.
Mandal would serve another two months if he fails to pay the fine, the judgement said.
Another accused Shabit Hasta Thapa, husband-accomplice of Zodingliani was also convicted for one year imprisonment and a fine of Rs 1,000 and would serve additional 20 days if he fails to pay the fine.
The prisoners were charged and convicted under section three, four and five of the Prevention of Immoral Traffic Act, 1956.
As Mandal is also wanted in Mumbai in connection with forced prostitution in that metropolitan city and would serve his sentence in Mumbai while being tried in the city court there, sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- BSF catches cow slaughter gang near India-Bangladesh border in Malda
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...