Three lynched by mob on suspicion of practising witchcraft
Shillong: Three persons, accused of practising witchcraft, were lynched by a mob near here, police said on Saturday.
The mob attacked the trio at their residence at Smit village, about 8 km from here, last night after a person from the same locality alleged that the trio indulged in witchcraft rituals last week, they said.
"Three persons were killed and one of our constables was injured in the incident last night," East Khasi Hills Superintendent of Police M Kharkrang said.
The victims were identified as Yesly Mawthoh and his son D Nongdhar and Besly Mawthoh, all from the same family, the SP said.
According to villagers, the trio had allegedly dumped the person who had accused them of practising witchcraft in a stream in the village.
The unidentified person was rushed in an unconscious state to a private hospital with injuries on his nose and nails.
He had named the trio shortly after he gained consciousness yesterday after which an angry mob rushed to the residence of the trio, they said
On being informed of the attack, police teams rushed to the spot, baton-charged the crowd who were witness to the incident in which one of the police constables was also injured in the melee.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- DNA: America standing against old nemesis Russia rather than ISIS
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know