Three lynched by mob on suspicion of practising witchcraft
Shillong: Three persons, accused of practising witchcraft, were lynched by a mob near here, police said on Saturday.
The mob attacked the trio at their residence at Smit village, about 8 km from here, last night after a person from the same locality alleged that the trio indulged in witchcraft rituals last week, they said.
"Three persons were killed and one of our constables was injured in the incident last night," East Khasi Hills Superintendent of Police M Kharkrang said.
The victims were identified as Yesly Mawthoh and his son D Nongdhar and Besly Mawthoh, all from the same family, the SP said.
According to villagers, the trio had allegedly dumped the person who had accused them of practising witchcraft in a stream in the village.
The unidentified person was rushed in an unconscious state to a private hospital with injuries on his nose and nails.
He had named the trio shortly after he gained consciousness yesterday after which an angry mob rushed to the residence of the trio, they said
On being informed of the attack, police teams rushed to the spot, baton-charged the crowd who were witness to the incident in which one of the police constables was also injured in the melee.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Sad reality behind the shutting down of the historic Gita Press
- Sonakshi Sinha apologises to Sarabjit, accused in Tilak Nagar case
- Twists and turns: Possible theories about Sheena Bora's murder
- DNA: With new facts emerging, Sheena Bora's murder mystery further deepens
- Sheena Bora murder: Mikhail to be brought to Mumbai for questioning
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Sheena Bora murder case: When Indrani Mukerjea broke down during questioning