Three lynched by mob on suspicion of practising witchcraft
Shillong: Three persons, accused of practising witchcraft, were lynched by a mob near here, police said on Saturday.
The mob attacked the trio at their residence at Smit village, about 8 km from here, last night after a person from the same locality alleged that the trio indulged in witchcraft rituals last week, they said.
"Three persons were killed and one of our constables was injured in the incident last night," East Khasi Hills Superintendent of Police M Kharkrang said.
The victims were identified as Yesly Mawthoh and his son D Nongdhar and Besly Mawthoh, all from the same family, the SP said.
According to villagers, the trio had allegedly dumped the person who had accused them of practising witchcraft in a stream in the village.
The unidentified person was rushed in an unconscious state to a private hospital with injuries on his nose and nails.
He had named the trio shortly after he gained consciousness yesterday after which an angry mob rushed to the residence of the trio, they said
On being informed of the attack, police teams rushed to the spot, baton-charged the crowd who were witness to the incident in which one of the police constables was also injured in the melee.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why should religion become a basis to fight for women's rights?
- Why should religion become a basis to fight for women's rights? - Part II
- Why should religion become a basis to fight for women's rights? - Part III
- Why should religion become a basis to fight for women's rights? - Part IV
- Will Sonia Gandhi reveal the truth behind AgustaWestland chopper scam?
- Watch: Aishwarya Rai Bachchan's Punjabi swag in 'Tung Luk' from 'Sarbjit' will win your heart
- Patna's first mall 'P&M' may shut down soon: Report
- '10% rise in China apparel prices to create 1.2 million Indian jobs'
- Sensitive people more vulnerable to online dating scams
- 40 cities to be selected in second round of smart city project: Govt