Three militants arrested in Tripura
Agartala: Three hardcore militants, including a woman, belonging to an insurgent group with bases in Bangladesh were arrested with Rs.25 lakh cash and some electronic gadgets in Tripura, police said on Monday.
"The militants belonging to the banned National Liberation Front of Tripura (NLFT) were arrested. They were carrying money and electronic devices to pass on to their co-cadres in Bangladesh to procure arms and ammunition," a police spokesman told reporters.
He said: "Acting on a tip off, police led by Inspector Paluram Das arrested the NLFT extremists Sunday night from a house at Jirania (in western Tripura) on the outskirts of the capital city. An amount of Rs.25,00,000 in cash, electronic apparatus and subscription receipts of NLFT were recovered from them."
The militants were presented in a local court which has sent them to seven days` police remand.
Police, quoting intelligence reports, said that ahead of the assembly elections, due in February 2013, the militants have been trying to increase their cadre strength by recruiting new people and acquiring arms and ammunition.
Intelligence report said some 27 former militants of the state who had surrendered to the authority earlier are now missing. Police suspect that they have rejoined their outfits and as the Tripura assembly polls come closer, militant activity in the state may again revive.
Tripura Chief Minister Manik Sarkar in a recent internal security meeting in New Delhi had said that though militancy had by and large been controlled in the bordering state there still are reports that NLFT militants are attempting to strike at security forces, establishments, developmental agencies and people.
"The militant outfits, who have their base camps in Bangladesh, are trying to recruit new cadres aiming the coming assembly polls," Sarkar said.
NLFT and the All Tripura Tiger Force, both banned by India, have set up their bases in Bangladesh and get support from other separatist outfits of the northeast. They have been demanding secession of Tripura from India.
Tripura shares an 856-km border with Bangladesh.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon
- Kejriwal lists AAP govt's achievements of 100 days, slams Centre's 'dictatorial attitude'
- Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi Party changes its logo
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department