Three NCP MLAs join BJP in Nagaland
Kohima: Three MLAs of the Nationalist Congress Party (NCP) have joined the BJP which is part of the NPF-led Democratic Alliance of Nagaland (DAN) government.
The state unit president of NCP, Imtilemba Sangtam, made the announcement in a press conference here yesterday.
The three NCP MLAs include the state party president Imtilemba Sangtam, former home minister and present Parliamentary Secretary in DAN-III ministry Dr TM Lotha and first timer Mhonlumo Kikon.
Parliamentary Secretary for Land Revenue, Village Guard, Dobashis & Gaon Burahs, L Khumo is the only remaining NCP legislator in the Assembly while the number of BJP which was having just one MLA in P Paiwang Konyak rose to four.
President Imtilemba said they took the decision to strengthen the hands of the DAN government formed.
Dr Lotha said that since BJP had come to power at the national level "we wanted to strengthen the BJP in Nagaland to bring about more development in the state."
Asked whether the state NCP had consultations with the central leaders in Delhi, Dr Lotha said "if consultations are to be held before joining, they (central leaders) would never want us to join the BJP."
State BJP president Dr M Chuba expressed happiness on the joining of the three NCP legislators to the party and expressed hope that the functioning of the party would be strengthened in the state.
This is second such joining of elected NCP members to other party in the state. The first was in DAN-II ministry in 2011 when both the elected members Dr Chumben Murry and P Pangyu Phom joined the NPF.
However, the remaining NCP MLA was not available for comments.
Currently, Dan has 51 MLAs, Congress 8 and NCP 1 in the 60-member house.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Disruption of Parliament not acceptable, for God's sake, do your job: President Pranab Mukherjee to MPs