Three northeastern states to get High Courts soon
Agartala: India`s three northeastern states of Tripura, Manipur and Meghalaya would get their own full-fledged high courts by October this year as the required amendment bill was passed by both houses of Parliament, an official here said Thursday.
"With the passing of the necessary amendment bill by parliament, now the crucial and long-expected constitutional hurdles have been resolved before setting up of the separate high courts in three northeastern states of India," Tripura`s Law Department Secretary Datamohan Jamatia said.
The obligatory modification of the North-Eastern Areas (Re-organisation) Act, 1971, the North-Eastern Areas (Re-organisation) and Other Related Laws (Amendment) Bill, 2012, was passed by the Lok Sabha and the Rajya Sabha on May 11 and May 16 respectively, paving the way for creation of separate high courts in the three states.
"Now the amendment bill would go to the President for her assent," Jamatia said.
"It was expected that the president would give her customary approval to the bill by next month," said Jamatia.
"Setting up of separate high courts would help in quicker disposal of cases, save litigants` time and money, and fulfil a long-standing demand of these states. Administrative and developmental works have sometimes been hampered due to timely non-disposal of pending cases," Jamatia said.
Currently, six northeastern states of Tripura, Manipur, Meghalaya, Mizoram, Nagaland and Arunachal Pradesh have benches of the Guwahati High Court. Sikkim has a separate high court.
Under the North-Eastern Areas (Re-organisation) Act, 1971, Tripura, Manipur and Meghalaya became full-fledged states on Jan 21, 1972.
"In Tripura alone over 52,000 cases had been pending in different lower courts and 5,000 cases are awaiting disposal in the Agartala bench of the Guwahati High Court," Jamatia added.
He said the necessary infrastructures were ready in all the three states for the functioning of full-fledged high courts.
Lok Sabha member from Tripura Khagen Das, who had moved a private member`s bill earlier for amending the necessary act to set up the high courts, said that he had met Home Minister P. Chidambaram and law minister Salman Khurshid in New Delhi a number of times to expedite the process.
"The 30 years long struggle for a separate high court in Tripura has finally yielded expected result," Rajya Sabha member from Tripura Jharna Das Baidya told IANS by phone from New Delhi.
"Following a series of mass movement, the Tripura assembly had first passed unanimous motion requesting the central government to set up a separate high court in 1987," Baidya said.
For quick disposal of pending cases, the Guwahati High Court had introduced in May last year video conference systems at its benches spread across six northeastern states.
What was then called Assam High Court was constituted April 5, 1948, and initially had its sittings in Shillong but shifted to Guwahati Aug 14, 1948. Shillong became capital of Meghalaya Jan 21, 1972.
It came to be known as the High Court of Assam and Nagaland on the constitution of the state of Nagaland Dec 1, 1963.
On the re-organisation of the northeastern region by the North-Eastern Area (Re-organisation) Act, 1971, a common high court was established for five northeastern states of Assam, Nagaland, Manipur, Meghalaya and Tripura - and the two erstwhile union territories (now full-fledged states) - Mizoram and Arunachal Pradesh - and was named as the Guwahati High Court.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM