Three policemen arrested and suspended for molesting girl
Shillong: Three policemen were arrested and suspended from service for allegedly molesting a 12-year-old girl in Meghalaya`s West Garo Hills district, police said on Saturday.
"We have arrested the police officers based on an FIR lodged against them by the girl`s uncle two days ago," District Superintendent of Police Mukesh Singh said.
Sub-Inspector Bankerlang Kharshanoh and two other sub-inspectors on probation - Ronald Nongrum and Sylvester Chyne were arrested on Friday evening from Tura.
According to the FIR, the alleged incident took place on December 28 when the girl and her uncle were returning from their shop. They were stopped and allegedly harassed by the three policemen who were in an inebriated condition.
The trio had allegedly assaulted the uncle after accusing him of being a militant and molested the girl inside the auto rickshaw in which they were travelling home.
The policemen later took the two to Chandmari police beat house in Tura town and forced them to sign some papers and took them medical examination before being let off late in the night.
Singh said a woman police officer in the rank of sub-inspector was appointed to probe the incident after which punitive actions would be taken accordingly against the three.
A local court has remanded them to 14 days judicial custody.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly