Thunderstorm lashes Assam, 300 homes destroyed
Guwahati: At least 300 homes were flattened in a thunderstorm that lashed parts of Assam and uprooted trees, electric and telephone poles, officials Friday said.
Heavy rains accompanied by gushing winds swept many parts of Assam, including the main city of Guwahati, late Thursday. The damage was reported to be extensive in the riverine island of Majuli in Jorhat district.
"Up to 150 houses were damaged in the storm with tin roofs blown away and also disrupting communication with uprooted trees blocking roads in many parts of the island," a police official said from Majuli.
The thunderstorm also hit parts of Lakhimpur, Dhemaji and Kamrup districts with another 150 homes damaged.
There has been no loss of lives reported in the storm.
On Wednesday, four people were killed and 20 injured as a similar thunderstorm lashed parts of Assam - all the casualties were reported from Mancachar in Dhubri district.
More than 500 homes were damaged in Wednesday`s storm.
"We have taken all possible measures to provide relief and other financial assistance to people hit by the storm. We have provided building materials to those whose houses were totally damaged in Wednesday`s storm and now we would do whatever is possible in Majuli as well," said state Relief and Rehabilitation Minister Bhumidhar Barman.
Community groups and government agencies have also provided food and other essentials to those badly hit by the storm.
The meteorological department has predicted more rain and thunderstorms over most parts of Assam during the next couple of days.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBI confirms Delhi health minister Satyendra Jain's indulgence in Hawala business
- Should army take strict action against stone pelters of J&K?
- Watch: CM Yogi Adityanath's first speech in UP Assembly house
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- The Kapil Sharma Show: No Sunday episode this weekend? Here’s why
- India vs Australia: Virat Kohli takes reconciliatory path, says his friendship comment was 'blown out of proportion'
- Sunil Grover joining AIB? Here’s the truth
- Reliance Jio closes in on 50 million paid users