Tight security in Tripura for Durga Puja
Agartala: Security has been stepped up in Tripura on account of Durga Puja.
Over 12,000 security personnel and quick reaction teams (QRTs) besides bomb and dog squads have been deployed for the five-day festival that began Wednesday, Inspector General of Police K. Nagraj told reporters.
The Border Security Force has been asked to be extra vigilant on the India-Bangladesh border, he said here.
Counter-insurgency operations against militants will be intensified by Assam Rifles, the Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) and the Tripura State Rifles (TSR), Nagraj said.
At least 2,000 community Durga Pujas have been organised in the state.
In the past, rebels targeted Hindus for celebrating religious festivals. Now pujas are being organised in about 300 tribal and extremist-prone areas, according to a police official.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- Should army take strict action against stone pelters of J&K?
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- DNA: Reason behind electricity crisis in India despite being power surplus nation
- DNA: Should strict action be taken against stone pelters of J&K?
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- The Kapil Sharma Show: No Sunday episode this weekend? Here’s why
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Reliance Jio closes in on 50 million paid users