Tight security in Tripura for Durga Puja
Agartala: Security has been stepped up in Tripura on account of Durga Puja.
Over 12,000 security personnel and quick reaction teams (QRTs) besides bomb and dog squads have been deployed for the five-day festival that began Wednesday, Inspector General of Police K. Nagraj told reporters.
The Border Security Force has been asked to be extra vigilant on the India-Bangladesh border, he said here.
Counter-insurgency operations against militants will be intensified by Assam Rifles, the Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) and the Tripura State Rifles (TSR), Nagraj said.
At least 2,000 community Durga Pujas have been organised in the state.
In the past, rebels targeted Hindus for celebrating religious festivals. Now pujas are being organised in about 300 tribal and extremist-prone areas, according to a police official.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India