Tight security in Tripura for Durga Puja
Agartala: Security has been stepped up in Tripura on account of Durga Puja.
Over 12,000 security personnel and quick reaction teams (QRTs) besides bomb and dog squads have been deployed for the five-day festival that began Wednesday, Inspector General of Police K. Nagraj told reporters.
The Border Security Force has been asked to be extra vigilant on the India-Bangladesh border, he said here.
Counter-insurgency operations against militants will be intensified by Assam Rifles, the Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) and the Tripura State Rifles (TSR), Nagraj said.
At least 2,000 community Durga Pujas have been organised in the state.
In the past, rebels targeted Hindus for celebrating religious festivals. Now pujas are being organised in about 300 tribal and extremist-prone areas, according to a police official.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31