Tight security in Tripura for Durga Puja
Agartala: Security has been stepped up in Tripura on account of Durga Puja.
Over 12,000 security personnel and quick reaction teams (QRTs) besides bomb and dog squads have been deployed for the five-day festival that began Wednesday, Inspector General of Police K. Nagraj told reporters.
The Border Security Force has been asked to be extra vigilant on the India-Bangladesh border, he said here.
Counter-insurgency operations against militants will be intensified by Assam Rifles, the Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) and the Tripura State Rifles (TSR), Nagraj said.
At least 2,000 community Durga Pujas have been organised in the state.
In the past, rebels targeted Hindus for celebrating religious festivals. Now pujas are being organised in about 300 tribal and extremist-prone areas, according to a police official.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sunanda Pushkar murder case: Police may approach court seeking lie detector test on Shashi Tharoor
- Jayalalithaa wins big in RK Nagar by-poll, defeats CPI's Mahendran by over 1.5 lakh votes
- Check JEE (Main) 2015 rank on www.jeemain.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in
- After Pankaja Munde, now Vinod Tawde accused of irregularities in awarding contracts in Maharashtra
- Jawaharlal Nehru's Wikipedia page edited from govt IP address; Congress seeks PM Modi's reply