Timber smuggler killed, six policemen injured
Guwahati: A timber smuggler was on Wednesday killed
and six policemen were injured while another went missing
after an encounter between the two sides in Chirang district
of Assam, police said.
Acting on a tip-off, police raided Gedabazar area of Bijni
town in the district. They were attacked by the smugglers in
which six policemen were injured.
The police then retaliated and in the ensuing encounter a
smuggler was killed and another seriously injured while
others in the gang managed to escape.
A constable identified as Sumanta Sarma was missing since
the encounter and a search operation has been launched to
trace him as also the smugglers who escaped, the police added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa