To blunt Opposition, Gogoi threatens to reopen LoC scam
Guwahati: In order to blunt Opposition AGP`s charge of corruption, Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi on Saturday said the government would ask the CBI to reopen the investigation into the multi-crore rupee letter of credit (LoC) scam in which former chief minister and AGP leader Prafulla Kumar Mahanta was allegedly involved.
"We will write to the CBI to investigate and reopen the (veterinary) LOC scam", Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi said. Attacking the AGP for alleging corruption in his government after the CBI recovered Rs 14 crore recently from the residence of an employee in North Cachar Hills District Autonomous Council, he questioned AGP`s silence when the CBI had found a prima facie case against Mahanta in the LoC scam.
"So let them (AGP) say now if we are trying to root out corruption by asking for a CBI enquiry", he said. The LoC scam in the veterinary department was known in the 1990s and in 1998, when Mahanta was chief minister, the CBI found a prima facie case against him but the then governor SK Sinha refused prosecution permission citing technical
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Farooq Abdullah insults national anthem, talks on phone
- Should IAS officers express their opinion on social media platform?
- Should IAS officers express their opinion on social media platform?- Part II
- Should IAS officers express their opinion on social media platform?- Part III
- DNA : Analysis of CBI's letter sent to Kirit Somaiya in Air India scam case
- Sania Mirza-Martina Hingis reach 3rd round in French Open
- England vs Sri Lanka, 2nd Test: Alastair Cook misses out but pressure on visitors
- Parliament session will not bring rain, says Shah
- Lewis Hamilton wants softer tyres and more fun in Formula One
- Mamata announces grant to state government employees