Top GNLA rebel escapes from Meghalaya jail
Shillong: A top Garo National Liberation Army (GNLA) rebel Saturday escaped from Tura District Jail in western Meghalaya, a jail official said.
"Kennedy T. Sangma escaped from the prison ward by scaling the wall of Tura Jail with bedsheets," Prem Singh, the Chief of Meghalaya Prisons told IANS.
Sangma was booked under Meghalaya Preventive Detention Act.
Singh said the incident took place at around 8.00 p.m.
Tura Jail is in the West Garo Hills district, about 300 km from Shillong, the state capital of Meghalaya.
Sangma, who is senior rebel of the outlawed GNLA, was arrested from South Garo Hills district bordering Bangladesh a few months ago. He was wanted by state police for his alleged involvement in extortions, kidnappings and murders.
"We are investigating how he escaped from the cell. A departmental inquiry will be conducted to find out the lapses," Singh said.
A massive manhunt has been launched to recapture the rebel.
The GNLA, one of five Garo rebel groups fighting for a separate Garoland in western Meghalaya, is headed by police officer-turned-rogue Champion R. Sangma.
Champion Sangma is presently lodged in Shillong Jail after he was arrested from the India-Bangladesh border last year.
The GNLA, which has over 100 rebels, including a few women cadres, operating in East Garo Hills, West Garo Hills and South Garo Hills, has been declared a terrorist outfit.
Over 40 people, including security personnel, have been killed while more than 10 people were abducted for ransom by GNLA rebels in the last three years.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- Coimbatore: PM Narendra Modi unveils 112-foot tall bust of Lord Shiva
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- Zee Media Exclusive: In conversation with BJP President Amit Shah
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- IND vs AUS, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...
- BMC poll results: Shiv Sena approaches Congress for pact, party says 'not interested'
- Indian man Srinivas Kuchibhotla shot dead in Kansas bar while watching basketball game - Know what happened