Top Manipuri rebel leader arrested in Delhi
New Delhi: A self-styled commander-in-chief of a banned Manipuri group was arrested here leading to the rescue of two officials of a construction project abducted in Manipur for Rs 2 crore ransom, police said on Friday.
Ningthoujam Romen Singh (27), also the Finance Secretary of Kangleipak Communist Party (KCP-MC), was apprehended from Sarai Kale Khan by Special Cell yesterday, Special Commissioner of Police SN Srivastava told reporters here.
He was based in Agra since May-June and allegedly coordinating extortion and other crimes in Manipur with the help of his associates. Prior to coming to Agra, he was in Goa and Nepal.
"His arrest led to the rescue of two officials of Moirang`s Takmu Water Sports Construction project by Manipur Police. His men had abducted them and Singh had demanded Rs 2 crore for their release," Srivastava said.
Singh and his brother-in-law Rajesh had joined KCP-MC as overground workers in 2007 and a year later, he was arrested in Meghalaya. Getting bail after two months, he fled to Nepal first and came to Goa in 2011.
"He was coordinating extortion and other crimes from these places before he came to Agra from where also he continued his activities. He came to Delhi for attending to some personal work," Srivastava said.
Singh is allegedly involved in 18 cases, the latest being the throwing of three hand grenades at a diagnostic centre on October 26 in Imphal after the institution refused to yield to the demand for ransom.
Five mobile phones, 16 SIM cards, two pen drives and 15 demand letters on the letter head of the outfit with his name were recovered allegedly from him along with other articles.
"He was also in touch with banned outfits like United Revolutionary Front. He was orchestrating abductions, extortion, attacks, threats to government officials and public through his cadre and was accumulating huge money. Singh had also sent extortion letters through e-mails," Srivastava said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video