Top militant held along Indo-Bangla border
Shillong: A top militant of Hynniewtrep
National Liberation Council (HNLC) was today arrested by the
BSF near the Indo-Bangladesh border.
Self-styled sergeant Major Joplin Pohtom was
apprehended as he crossed over to the Indian side near Dawki,
a BSF spokesman said.
Acting on a tip-off, the BSF troops had laid a trap in
the area to catch the militant in a pre-dawn operation.
A resident of Sohkha village near Dawki, Pohtom is a
hardcore HNLC militant and the `area commander` of the outfit
in Dawki sector.
The BSF said he is a right hand man and most trusted
person of HNLC `c-in-c` Bobby Marwain who is hiding in
Pohtam, a 2001-batch cadre of the outfit, has been
involved in several cases of murder besides large scale
extortion and kidnappings, the BSF said.
He also carries a reward of Rs one lakh.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened