Top militant leader arrested for extortion in NE
Imphal: A top militant leader was arrested Tuesday when he came to receive extortion money from a petrol pump personnel while his accomplice managed to excape at Jiribam town here in East district, official sources said.
Self-styled general secretary of United Tribal Liberation Army (UTLA) Seinio Guite alias James Kuki (29), who had on July 13 last hurled a grenade at the petrol pump demanding payment of Rs 10 lakh, was arrested when he came to collect the money from pump personnel, they said.
Police arrested him along with a small arm, sources said adding that another UTLA man escaped.
Meanwhile, an army major (name withheld) of 22nd Assam Rifles battalion came to the police station along with some para military forces, reports from the border town said adding that the para military forces demanded immediate release of Guite on the ground that they were to surrender to Assam Rifles soon.
They also damaged partly the gate of police station, reports said but police officers of the station refused to hand over the UTLA leader since he was arrested with arm.
There was some argument between the two forces, reports said adding an FIR has been lodged with the police station against the particular army officer.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Zakir Naik's foundation converted many to Islam for monetary benefits?
- Is Zakir Naik's foundation converted many to Islam for monetary benefits?- Part II
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?- Part II
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?- Part III
- Cuteness alert! Insanely adorable pictures of 'Ye Hai Mohabbatein' fame Ruhaanika Dhawan
- Mother Sofia Hayat displays her singing talent - Watch video
- Mercedes, GE among 'Make in India' investors
- 1st Test, Day 1: Steve Smith-led Australia in driver's seat after bowling out Sri Lanka for 117
- 'Kabali' Rajinikanth follows just one politician on Twitter; he is PM Narendra Modi