Top Nagaland bureaucrats on leave
Kohima: Poll-bound Nagaland finds itself in a catch-22 situation as state chief secretary Alemtemshi Jamir and additional chief secretary Banou Z Jamir have gone on leave to ensure a fair play as their son is contesting the state Assembly elections.
"We have gone on leave since yesterday (Friday) since our son is contesting the state assembly elections and to prevent any misgivings in the minds of various political parties and the electorates," Alemtemshi told a news agency on Saturday.
Jamir`s son Merentoshi, at 32 the youngest candidate in fray, is contesting from Mongya assembly constituency on the ruling Naga People`s Front ticket.
He is pitted against Ngangshi K Ao, a former cabinet minister in the Neiphiu Rio ministry.
Nagaland will elect new legislators for the 60-member assembly Feb 23. Counting will take place Feb 28.
"Our 20 days` leave was to assure the people of the state that the entire elections process are being held in free and fair manner," he added.
Alemtemshi said the Election Commission has granted them leave following their request to ensure free and fair polls.
While the gesture from the couple has drawn appreciation, the absence of the two senior officials in the election time has put the administration in a fix.
The Election Commission has directed Toshi Aier, additional chief secretary, finance, to hold temporary charge of the office of chief secretary, while additional Chief secretary HK Khullu has been asked to hold temporary charge as additional chief secretary and commissioner border affairs.
Both Alemtemshi Jamir and Banou Z Jamir are Indian administrative Service officers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- IPL 2015: Not easy for fast bowler to win many MOM in one season, says Ashish Nehra