Top ULFA leader out on bail, claims no division in group
Guwahati: ULFA `cultural secretary`
Pranati Deka on Wednesday claimed there was no "division" in the
group and said a decision on peace talks with the government
will be taken after the release of all its arrested leaders.
"There is no division within the ULFA and a collective
decision on peace talks will be taken after the leaders are
released," Deka told reporters after her release from the
Guwahati Central jail on bail.
She also said that the people of Assam are the
"guardians of the ULFA and only when they tell us to go ahead
with the talks we will do so".
Any decision on peace talks would be taken with the
interest of the people of Assam being given top priority, she
Deka`s family members arrived in Guwahati Central Jail
early in the morning to receive her and she later left for her
husband and jailed ULFA `financial secretary` Chitrabon
Hazarika`s home at Jakhalabanda in Nagaon district.
Deka was first arrested on August 23, 1996 from Mumbai
airport while she was leaving after delivering a boy at Jaslok
hospital. She was released on bail in 1998. She jumped bail
and was rearrested in 2003 at Phulbari in Garo Hills in
Meghalaya while attempting to sneak into Bangladesh.
ULFA `deputy commander-in-chief` Raju Barua was
released on November 27 while `vice chairman` Pradip Gogoi and
`publicity secretary` Mithinga Daimary were set free earlier.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’