TR Zeliang takes oath as Nagaland CM; Narendra Modi congratulates
Zee Media Bureau
Kohima: Senior Naga People`s Front leader TR Zeliang was on Saturday sworn-in as the 17th Chief Minister of Nagaland, a day after Neiphiu Rio submitted his resignation to Governor Ashwani Kumar after his election to the Lok Sabha.
The Governor administered the oath of office and secrecy to the 62-year-old leader and 11 other ministers in a ceremony at the Raj Bhavan here.
Prime Minister-designate Narendra Modi, meanwhile, congratulated Zeliang on Twitter.
Congratulations to Shri T R Zeliang on taking oath as Nagaland CM. My best wishes & support in Nagaland's development journey.
— Narendra Modi (@narendramodi) May 24, 2014
Five NPF leaders - Imkong Imchen, CM Chang, EE Panteang, S Pangyuh Phom and Meren Toshi Jamir - who were Cabinet ministers in Rio`s government have been denied Cabinet berth this time.
Neikiesalie Nicky Kire, C Kipili Sangtam, CL John, Benjongliba Aier, Nuklutoshi and P Longon have been given the charge of Cabinet ministries.
Noke Wangnao, a former minister in Rio`s cabinet and who was also initially a front-runner for chief minister`s post, retained his Cabinet berth. Former home minister G Kaito Aye, Kuzholuzo Nienu, Kiyanilie Peseyie, Yanthungo Patton also retained their berth in Zeliang`s Cabinet.
However, NPF allies comprising Nationalist Congress Party, the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP), Janata Dal-United and Independent legislators did not find a Cabinet berth.
Zeliang, 62, a confidant of Rio and the planning and co-ordination minister in the Rio-led Democratic Alliance of Nagaland coalition, which also comprises the Nationalist Congress Party, the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP), the Janata Dal-United and Independent legislators, is the 17th Chief Minister of this mountainous state.
In the 60-member Nagaland Assembly, the NPF has 38 members, the NCP four, the BJP and the JD-U have two each, while there are eight Independents. The opposition Congress has eight legislators.
Zeliang has promised that they will continue to uphold the policies and programmes initiated under Rio`s leadership and also try to follow his footprints.
Three-time chief minister Rio, who is likely to find a Cabinet berth in the Narendra Modi ministry, won the Lok Sabha constituency from the state, defeating his nearest Congress rival KV Pusa by 400,225 votes.
(With IANS inputs)
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Ram Mandir in Ayodhya will be built soon, says Thawar Chand Gehlot
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?