TR Zeliang takes oath as Nagaland CM; Narendra Modi congratulates
Zee Media Bureau
Kohima: Senior Naga People`s Front leader TR Zeliang was on Saturday sworn-in as the 17th Chief Minister of Nagaland, a day after Neiphiu Rio submitted his resignation to Governor Ashwani Kumar after his election to the Lok Sabha.
The Governor administered the oath of office and secrecy to the 62-year-old leader and 11 other ministers in a ceremony at the Raj Bhavan here.
Prime Minister-designate Narendra Modi, meanwhile, congratulated Zeliang on Twitter.
Congratulations to Shri T R Zeliang on taking oath as Nagaland CM. My best wishes & support in Nagaland's development journey.
— Narendra Modi (@narendramodi) May 24, 2014
Five NPF leaders - Imkong Imchen, CM Chang, EE Panteang, S Pangyuh Phom and Meren Toshi Jamir - who were Cabinet ministers in Rio`s government have been denied Cabinet berth this time.
Neikiesalie Nicky Kire, C Kipili Sangtam, CL John, Benjongliba Aier, Nuklutoshi and P Longon have been given the charge of Cabinet ministries.
Noke Wangnao, a former minister in Rio`s cabinet and who was also initially a front-runner for chief minister`s post, retained his Cabinet berth. Former home minister G Kaito Aye, Kuzholuzo Nienu, Kiyanilie Peseyie, Yanthungo Patton also retained their berth in Zeliang`s Cabinet.
However, NPF allies comprising Nationalist Congress Party, the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP), Janata Dal-United and Independent legislators did not find a Cabinet berth.
Zeliang, 62, a confidant of Rio and the planning and co-ordination minister in the Rio-led Democratic Alliance of Nagaland coalition, which also comprises the Nationalist Congress Party, the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP), the Janata Dal-United and Independent legislators, is the 17th Chief Minister of this mountainous state.
In the 60-member Nagaland Assembly, the NPF has 38 members, the NCP four, the BJP and the JD-U have two each, while there are eight Independents. The opposition Congress has eight legislators.
Zeliang has promised that they will continue to uphold the policies and programmes initiated under Rio`s leadership and also try to follow his footprints.
Three-time chief minister Rio, who is likely to find a Cabinet berth in the Narendra Modi ministry, won the Lok Sabha constituency from the state, defeating his nearest Congress rival KV Pusa by 400,225 votes.
(With IANS inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Air India lodges FIR against Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad for assaulting staffer
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM
- Should there be strict laws against cow slaughter? Uttar Pradesh CM Yogi Adityanath seeks public opinion