Traffic bandh in Aizawl
Aizawl: The 12-hour traffic bandh in the
Mizoram capital town began at 5 am today hitting movement of
Aizawl district SP Lalbiakthanga Khiangte said traffic
was thin in the town as most of the vehicles kept off the road
fearing damage by protestors.
A few buses and taxis were sighted as the owners have
not supported the bandh.
There were, however, no bandh supporters in the streets
after 15 volunteers of bandh-sponsor Mizoram Motor Vehicle
Taxation Refinement Demand Coordination Committee (MMVTRDCC)
were arrested, he said.
Many students had to walk to attend classes as did
government employees, who were instructed by the state
government to attend office.
Mizoram Home Minister R Lalzirliana had yesterday
warned that firm action would be taken against those who
obstructed normal life.
The traffic bandh is being held to protest against the
`unprecedented` hike in road tax and compulsory payment of
life time road tax, MMVTRDCC sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Bikaner: 13-year-old schoolgirl raped by eight teachers
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Mohammad Kaif takes a subtle dig at Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad after he hit Air India official with slippers