Traffic bandh in Aizawl
Aizawl: The 12-hour traffic bandh in the
Mizoram capital town began at 5 am today hitting movement of
Aizawl district SP Lalbiakthanga Khiangte said traffic
was thin in the town as most of the vehicles kept off the road
fearing damage by protestors.
A few buses and taxis were sighted as the owners have
not supported the bandh.
There were, however, no bandh supporters in the streets
after 15 volunteers of bandh-sponsor Mizoram Motor Vehicle
Taxation Refinement Demand Coordination Committee (MMVTRDCC)
were arrested, he said.
Many students had to walk to attend classes as did
government employees, who were instructed by the state
government to attend office.
Mizoram Home Minister R Lalzirliana had yesterday
warned that firm action would be taken against those who
obstructed normal life.
The traffic bandh is being held to protest against the
`unprecedented` hike in road tax and compulsory payment of
life time road tax, MMVTRDCC sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened