Traffic bandh in Aizawl
Aizawl: The 12-hour traffic bandh in the
Mizoram capital town began at 5 am today hitting movement of
Aizawl district SP Lalbiakthanga Khiangte said traffic
was thin in the town as most of the vehicles kept off the road
fearing damage by protestors.
A few buses and taxis were sighted as the owners have
not supported the bandh.
There were, however, no bandh supporters in the streets
after 15 volunteers of bandh-sponsor Mizoram Motor Vehicle
Taxation Refinement Demand Coordination Committee (MMVTRDCC)
were arrested, he said.
Many students had to walk to attend classes as did
government employees, who were instructed by the state
government to attend office.
Mizoram Home Minister R Lalzirliana had yesterday
warned that firm action would be taken against those who
obstructed normal life.
The traffic bandh is being held to protest against the
`unprecedented` hike in road tax and compulsory payment of
life time road tax, MMVTRDCC sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Airtel takes on Reliance Jio yet again; offers 10GB of 4G data at just Rs 259
- Saudi prince Turki Bin Saud Al-Kabir executed for murder in rare case
- Man divorces wife after seeing her first time without make-up!
- India can only 'bark', its products can't compete: Chinese state media
- China's state media calls LeT 'Pak-based military group', downplays boycott call of Chinese goods in Indian markets