Tricolour cake row: Court orders CID probe
Guwahati: A local court on Wednesday asked the CID
to probe into the incident in which Assam Chief Minister Tarun
Gogoi, his wife and senior government officials, had cut a
cake decorated like the tricolor at a Republic Day function at
the Raj Bhavan here.
Kamrup chief judicial magistrate Rabin Phukan issued the
directions while hearing a case filed by senior advocate of
Gauhati High Court H R A Choudhury.
The CJM directed the CID to file a criminal case, probe
into the matter and report to the court "at the earliest".
Choudhury has filed the case against Gogoi, his wife
Dolly, Chief Secretary P C Sarma and Additional DGP Dilip Bora
for violating provisions of Prevention of Violation and Insult
to the National Honour Act, 1971 and Article 51 A of the
Constitution which enshrines the duties of the citizen to
honour the national flag.
Local TV channels had aired a few days after Republic
Day visuals of Gogoi and Governor J B Patnaik cutting a cake
decorated like the national flag in the presence of senior
bureaucrats, police and army officials.
With the opposition AGP raising a hue and cry over the
incident, Gogoi had expressed regret and said the act was
"unintentional and not to show disrespect to the national
The Governor had denied showing any disrespect to the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Political war of words erupts over Yakub Memon's execution
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Exclusive interview with APJ Abdul Kalam’s aide Srijan Pal Singh
- Russian aircraft Mi-28 crashes during an aerobatics show
- Shravan month begins, devotees throng Shiva temples
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Govt formalises strategies to counter ISIS threat, maintain internal security
- Manbir Kaur becomes first Sikh girl in Pakistan to top Class 10 exam
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers
- 2nd T20: Shahid Afridi, Anwar Ali help Pakistan win thriller against Sri Lanka