Trinamool Congress not to contest CPI-M in Tripura
Agartala: Arch political rival of CPI-M, Trinamool Congress has decided not to contest the February 14 Tripura assembly polls to give benefit to opposition Congress.
President of Tripura Trinamol Pradesh Committee Manik Deb said TC high command led by Mamata Banerjee have instructed them not put up candidates in Tripura elections on the plea that the leaders would remain busy for the three bi-elections in West Bengal in February and Panchayat elections in April.
To a question he said, "It is not a question of giving less importance to Tripura. It is a question of priority. If our party becomes stable in West Bengal we would be able to spread our organisations in other state, though we expressed our desire to contest in the elections."
"We have decided to maintain equal distance from CPI-M and Congress both," Deb said.
Tripura unit of TC itself is a divided house over participation in the elections which became clear from the remarks of Chairman of Adhoc Committee of TC, Arun Chandra Bhowmick.
"I think our high command has taken the right decision of not contesting the elections in Tripura because the non left votes would have been divided giving advantage to CPI-M," Bhowmick told a news agency.
TC sources said, TC supremo and West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee indicated that if Congress is defeated in Tripura the responsibility would come to TC which would have a bad impact in by-elections and Panchayat elections in West Bengal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Iraqi army inches close to Baghdadi in Mosul- Report
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends