Trinamool’s campaign to oust Left from Tripura
Agartala: The Trinamool Congress on Saturday launched its "Mission 2013" - to oust the Left Front from power in Tripura - at a mass meeting here.
Addressing the gathering, Trinamool general secretary and Minister of State for Shipping Mukul Roy said: "Like Paschimbanga (the new name decided for West Bengal Friday), the people of Tripura would throw out the CPI-M (Communist Party of India-Marxist)-led Left Front from the helm of affairs."
"The Left parties in Tripura are also sunk in corruption, misrule and huge non-performance. People of the state like Paschimbanga are equally fed up with the Communist parties," said Roy, accompanied by several other Trinamool Congress leaders from West Bengal.
Saturday`s gathering in the Left-ruled Tripura was the first public meeting by the Trinamool, after it, in alliance with the Congress, crushed the Left Front led by CPI-M in the West Bengal assembly elections, ending its 34-year long rule.
Political observers feel that Trinamool Congress supremo and West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee is now trying to vanquish the Left Front`s last stronghold Tripura, by launching an "unrelenting anti-Left campaign" with an eye to the 2013 assembly elections.
The CPM-led Left Front has been in power in the northeastern state since 1993, winning four assembly elections in a row.
Though the Trinamool Congress is yet to open its account in the 60-member assembly or any other elected bodies in the state, it is quite confident of its chances.
"The Congress would not be able to vote out the Left Front as it has no such political and mental strength," Roy said
"Trinamool Congress is ready to forge alliance with the Congress and any other like-minded parties as our main aim is to oust the CPI-M from Tripura. If needed, we would also form coalition with the regional and tribal-based parties of Tripura," he added.
The CPI-M was dismissive of the Trinamool`s venture.
"The party has no strength in the state. Some Congress men joined the party. They can perceive such dreams only," party state secretary Bijon Dhar told reporters here.
The Congress has also categorised the Trinamool Congress as "an insignificant party in Tripura".
"We have not yet decided to forge any alliance with the Trinamool Congress because the party has no political base in Tripura. We on our own strength would oust the Left Front from power in the state in the 2013 assembly polls," said state unit chief Surajit Datta.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks