Tripura: 83 injured in police lathi charge
Agartala: A total 83 people were injured,
including 11 journalists when Tripura police and Tripura State
Rifles (TSR) wielded the stick on Sunday on supporters and
opposition Congress workers here.
Police said the forces resorted to lathi charge as
Congress workers tried to stop examinees from appearing for
the common entrance test (CET) of Tripura Medical College
(TMC) demanding 85 of the 100 seats should be filled up by
students qualifying in the state joint entrance examination.
Following the lathi charge 44 people, including three
journalists, were treated at Agartala Government Medical
College here and 39 persons were released after first aid.
Leader of the Opposition Ratan Lal Nath told newsmen
that Congress workers had gone to the spot to request the
examinees to stay away from the `illegal` CET which was
`detrimental` to the interests of the students in the state.
The police, he claimed, resorted to lathi charge
The state police chief had yesterday announced that he
was instructed to ensure that the examination peaceful.
Nath said 85 seats should be filled by students
qualifying in JEE as TMC is a government medical college and
the rest 15 seats could be kept reserved for central pool. But
the state government wanted to fill up 55 seats from JEE and
30 by those who qualify in the CET.
The director of health service had in an affidavit said
TMC is a government college to get the approval of Medical
Council of India (MCI).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know