Tripura best governed state, says Karat
Agartala: Kicking off campaign for the February 14 Assembly elections in Tripura, CPI(M) Party General Secretary Prakash Karat on Sunday said this is the best governed state in India so far as law and order was concerned.
"This is the best governed state in the country in terms of maintaining law and order, giving safety and security to the lives and properties of people and improving the standard of lives of people," Karat said in a meeting.
"It is also a model state in the region for combating decades old insurgency," he said.
Asserting that the seventh Left Front government would be installed in the state, Karat said the government "created history" by launching a programme of giving rice to the poor at Rs 2 a kg, implementing Forest Dwellers Rights Act for giving resettlement of tribals and implementing the MGNREGA.
The UPA government at the Centre has become more unpopular during the past six months for taking various anti-people measures by increasing the prices of diesel, essential commodities and rail fare.
Succumbing to the pressure of the USA, the UPA government was giving more facilities to multinational companies and planning to reduce taxes for them upto Rs five lakh crore, he alleged.
Tripura Chief Minister Manik Sarkar said hundreds of CPI(M) activists had sacrificed their lives in the hills and plains of Tripura to end the four-decade-old insurgency in the state which made the lives of people miserable by killing, kidnapping and stalling developments of the state.
"We gave priority to restore peace as peace is the pre-condition for development. Even Prime Minister Manmohan Singh in a meeting of the Security Council had appreciated Tripura for restoring peace and stated that it was an example in the country," Sarkar said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly