Tripura best governed state, says Karat
Agartala: Kicking off campaign for the February 14 Assembly elections in Tripura, CPI(M) Party General Secretary Prakash Karat on Sunday said this is the best governed state in India so far as law and order was concerned.
"This is the best governed state in the country in terms of maintaining law and order, giving safety and security to the lives and properties of people and improving the standard of lives of people," Karat said in a meeting.
"It is also a model state in the region for combating decades old insurgency," he said.
Asserting that the seventh Left Front government would be installed in the state, Karat said the government "created history" by launching a programme of giving rice to the poor at Rs 2 a kg, implementing Forest Dwellers Rights Act for giving resettlement of tribals and implementing the MGNREGA.
The UPA government at the Centre has become more unpopular during the past six months for taking various anti-people measures by increasing the prices of diesel, essential commodities and rail fare.
Succumbing to the pressure of the USA, the UPA government was giving more facilities to multinational companies and planning to reduce taxes for them upto Rs five lakh crore, he alleged.
Tripura Chief Minister Manik Sarkar said hundreds of CPI(M) activists had sacrificed their lives in the hills and plains of Tripura to end the four-decade-old insurgency in the state which made the lives of people miserable by killing, kidnapping and stalling developments of the state.
"We gave priority to restore peace as peace is the pre-condition for development. Even Prime Minister Manmohan Singh in a meeting of the Security Council had appreciated Tripura for restoring peace and stated that it was an example in the country," Sarkar said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!