Tripura best governed state, says Karat
Agartala: Kicking off campaign for the February 14 Assembly elections in Tripura, CPI(M) Party General Secretary Prakash Karat on Sunday said this is the best governed state in India so far as law and order was concerned.
"This is the best governed state in the country in terms of maintaining law and order, giving safety and security to the lives and properties of people and improving the standard of lives of people," Karat said in a meeting.
"It is also a model state in the region for combating decades old insurgency," he said.
Asserting that the seventh Left Front government would be installed in the state, Karat said the government "created history" by launching a programme of giving rice to the poor at Rs 2 a kg, implementing Forest Dwellers Rights Act for giving resettlement of tribals and implementing the MGNREGA.
The UPA government at the Centre has become more unpopular during the past six months for taking various anti-people measures by increasing the prices of diesel, essential commodities and rail fare.
Succumbing to the pressure of the USA, the UPA government was giving more facilities to multinational companies and planning to reduce taxes for them upto Rs five lakh crore, he alleged.
Tripura Chief Minister Manik Sarkar said hundreds of CPI(M) activists had sacrificed their lives in the hills and plains of Tripura to end the four-decade-old insurgency in the state which made the lives of people miserable by killing, kidnapping and stalling developments of the state.
"We gave priority to restore peace as peace is the pre-condition for development. Even Prime Minister Manmohan Singh in a meeting of the Security Council had appreciated Tripura for restoring peace and stated that it was an example in the country," Sarkar said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees