Tripura CM demands money from Centre for SPO salary
Agartala: Tripura Chief Minister Manik
Sarkar today demanded financial support from Centre for
enhancing the salaries of Special Police Officers (SPOs), a
contingent of forces helping the police to combat insurgency
in the state.
"Union Home Ministry has been apprised about the need
for hiking salaries and other benefits of SPOs working in
Tripura like Jammu and Kashmir, Chhattisgarh and Jharkhand and
demanded the money," he told reporters.
"SPOs are important collaborators of security forces
engaged in combating insurgency. Apart from curbing armed
extremism, they motivate villagers against insurgency. We have
decided to enhance their salaries to Rs 3500 from Rs 3000," he
The meeting of the council of ministers held here
yesterday decided to enhance the remuneration of SPOs along
with 12 days paid leave and 30 days medical leave.
A total of 3662 SPOs would be befitted and Centre was
paying only a small portion of their salaries and the rest
were being borne by the state government, he said.
Chief Minister who is also the Home Minister of the
state expressed his dissatisfaction for not dispatching more
Border Security Force (BSF) battalions to guard 856-km porous
border with Bangladesh.
"After Kargil war, Union Home Ministry had decided to
reduce the gap between two border outposts from 7 km to 3 km
for which five more BSF battalions were needed.
"Tripura has 15 battalions of BSF. We need five more
battalions," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- UP elections: Mulayam Singh says he will campaign for son Akhilesh
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Virat Kohli vs Sachin Tendulkar: Who is a better cricketer? Read what Virender Sehwag has to say