Tripura CM demands money from Centre for SPO salary
Agartala: Tripura Chief Minister Manik
Sarkar today demanded financial support from Centre for
enhancing the salaries of Special Police Officers (SPOs), a
contingent of forces helping the police to combat insurgency
in the state.
"Union Home Ministry has been apprised about the need
for hiking salaries and other benefits of SPOs working in
Tripura like Jammu and Kashmir, Chhattisgarh and Jharkhand and
demanded the money," he told reporters.
"SPOs are important collaborators of security forces
engaged in combating insurgency. Apart from curbing armed
extremism, they motivate villagers against insurgency. We have
decided to enhance their salaries to Rs 3500 from Rs 3000," he
The meeting of the council of ministers held here
yesterday decided to enhance the remuneration of SPOs along
with 12 days paid leave and 30 days medical leave.
A total of 3662 SPOs would be befitted and Centre was
paying only a small portion of their salaries and the rest
were being borne by the state government, he said.
Chief minister who is also the home minister of the
state expressed his dissatisfaction for not dispatching more
Border Security Force (BSF) battalions to guard 856-km porous
border with Bangladesh.
"After Kargil war, Union Home Ministry had decided to
reduce the gap between two border outposts from 7 km to 3 km
for which five more BSF battalions were needed.
"Tripura has 15 battalions of BSF. We need five more
battalions," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on how Pampore attack destabilized India's relation with Pakistan
- Panel discussion on how Pampore attack destabilized India's relation with Pakistan - Part II
- Panel discussion on how Pampore attack destabilized India's relation with Pakistan - Part III
- Hafiz Saeed warns of jihad to free Pak rivers from India
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- 'Tulsidas ji pranam' — Read Bihar's topper Ruby Rai's 'shocking' essay on famous poet
- Why red snow of Arctic is a 'red alert' for the environment?
- Manohar Parrikar says Pampore attack an act of frustration; orders probe
- Virat Kohli: Homework was a 'big headache'
- Three more Indian athletes qualify for Rio Olympics