Tripura CM slams MHA for `breach of federalism`
New Delhi: Senior CPM leader and Tripura Chief Minister Manik Sarkar on Monday came down hard on the Home Ministry accusing it of taking a number steps including on proposed NCTC and RPF and BSF Acts which have "serious implications" for the federal structure of the country.
Speaking at a conference of chief ministers on internal security, the lone communist Chief Minister cited Home Ministry`s notification to form the National Counter Terrorism Centre (NCTC) and proposed amendments to the RPF Act and BSF Act as examples of "encroachment" upon rights of the states.
"I am pained to point out that in recent past the Home Ministry has taken several steps which have serious implication for the federal structure of the country," he said.
Opposing NCTC notification and proposed amendment to the RPF Act and BSF Act, he said the tendency to take actions in "breach of federalism" have caused serious apprehension among the states.
"It is no surprise that so many state governments have expressed their concern on the tendency of the Central government to take action in breach of federalism which pervades throughout our constitutional scheme," Sarkar, who in serving his third consecutive term, said.
On NCTC, he objected to the creation of a separate operation wing and conferring it with power of arrest and search under provisions of the Unlawful Activities Prevention Act in respect of any offence committed in a state.
"Arming intelligence agency, which are not accountable to Parliament or courts, with such powers may have undesired consequences," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city