Tripura CM slams MHA for `breach of federalism`
New Delhi: Senior CPM leader and Tripura Chief Minister Manik Sarkar on Monday came down hard on the Home Ministry accusing it of taking a number steps including on proposed NCTC and RPF and BSF Acts which have "serious implications" for the federal structure of the country.
Speaking at a conference of chief ministers on internal security, the lone communist Chief Minister cited Home Ministry`s notification to form the National Counter Terrorism Centre (NCTC) and proposed amendments to the RPF Act and BSF Act as examples of "encroachment" upon rights of the states.
"I am pained to point out that in recent past the Home Ministry has taken several steps which have serious implication for the federal structure of the country," he said.
Opposing NCTC notification and proposed amendment to the RPF Act and BSF Act, he said the tendency to take actions in "breach of federalism" have caused serious apprehension among the states.
"It is no surprise that so many state governments have expressed their concern on the tendency of the Central government to take action in breach of federalism which pervades throughout our constitutional scheme," Sarkar, who in serving his third consecutive term, said.
On NCTC, he objected to the creation of a separate operation wing and conferring it with power of arrest and search under provisions of the Unlawful Activities Prevention Act in respect of any offence committed in a state.
"Arming intelligence agency, which are not accountable to Parliament or courts, with such powers may have undesired consequences," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands