Tripura CM slams UPA government
Agartala: The UPA government`s policies are harmful for the people of the country and the Left Front has alternative pro-people policies, said Tripura Chief Minister Manik Sarkar, who assumed office Wednesday for a fourth consecutive time.
"UPA (United Progressive Alliance) government`s policies are against the people, especially the poor of the country. Their (UPA) liberalisation policies have been serving the interest of corporate sectors, capitalist and millionaires," Sarkar told reporters after the swearing-in ceremony at Raj Bhavan here.
Seeking cooperation from the opposition parties, he said the Left Front government always wanted to continue development and to resolve problems of the people.
"There will be no wall between government and people. We should correct our weakness. The weaknesses must not be repeated again," he said.
Chief minister since 1998, Sarkar said in the Feb 14 assembly polls the people had given the Left parties big responsibilities. "We should keep, respect and follow these responsibilities with all sincerity and dedication," he said.
He claimed that the startling victory of the Left parties in the polls would boost democratic movements in India against the UPA government policies in the country. "This is a record victory of Left Front against all odds," Sarkar said.
CPI-M politburo member Sitaram Yechury, who was also present at the swearing in ceremony, said the Left parties` great victory in the elections would have a positive impact in the Left movement in the country.
"The victory has already boosted the morale of the party men who have participated in the ongoing country-wide `jatha` (rally)," Yechury told reporters.
He said the Left parties want alternative policies not alternative government.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands