Tripura CM thanks people for `landslide` panchayat poll win
New Delhi: Tripura Chief Minister Manik Sarkar on Saturday congratulated the people of his state for handing a "landslide victory" in panchayat elections to the ruling Left Front, which has clinched over 95 per cent of the seats.
"I thank the people of Tripura for delivering a landslide victory by giving more than 95 per cent of the seats to the Left Front in the just-concluded elections to the three-tier panchayats in the state," he said here.
Here to attend the CPI(M) Politburo meeting, Sarkar said, "The people of Tripura have demonstrated and reiterated their faith and confidence in the Left Front government."
However, he said there was "no room for complacency and self-boasting over this spectacular victory. This has only further heightened the responsibility of the Left Front and, obviously, the Left Front government".
"We will have to prepare ourselves to discharge our responsibilities and tasks in a befitting manner with due guidance and cooperation of the people of Tripura at large," Sarkar said while thanking officers, employees, the police and security forces for the smooth conduct of the elections.
Polls to the three-tier panchayat system was held on July 15 with around 90 per cent of the voters exercising their franchise.
The elections were held for 5,624 seats, including 419 in 35 panchayat samitis and 116 in eight zila parishads. The remaining seats belonged to gram panchayats.
The CPI(M) Politburo said the Left Front has swept the eight Zila Parishads (ZP) and "reduced the opposition to no consequence." Of the total 116 ZP seats, CPI(M) won 115, conceding just one seat to Congress.
In the Panchayat Samitis, too, "the opposition was decimated" with Left Front securing a majority in all the 35 samitis. Of the 418 of the total 419 panchayat samiti seats for which results were declared, Left Front won 409 and Congress only nine, the CPI(M) statement said.
Of the 591 Gram Panchayats, Left Front secured majority in 563 with Congress winning 18 followed by BJP (5), Trinamool Congress (3) and Others (2).
In 22 blocks, no opposition party could get a majority even in a single gram panchayat. While Congress had won 83 gram panchayats in the 2009 elections, this time their tally was reduced to 18 with Left Front snatching away 65 gram panchayats from them, the party said.
At a press conference in Agartala, CPI(M) State Secretary Bijan Dhar and Secretariat member Gautam Das thanked the people of Tripura for reposing their faith once again in the Left Front by delivering "a huge and unprecedented mandate."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!