Tripura CM to skip Narendra Modi`s swearing-in
Agartala: Tripura Chief Minister Manik Sarkar will not attend the swearing-in ceremony of Narendra Modi as India`s next prime minister because he has pre-scheduled programme, an official said here on Saturday.
State PWD and Health Minister Badal Chowdhury will represent the Left Front government at the ceremony on May 26.
"An invitation from the Rashtrapati Bhavan came here yesterday (Friday) requesting Sarkar to attend the swearing-in ceremony of Narendra Modi. The chief minister due to his pre-scheduled programme will not be able to attend the ceremony," a top government official told a news agency.
Sarkar is also a politburo member of the Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M).
The official said: "The Chief Minister after consulting his party and senior ministers has decided to send Chowdhury in the swearing-in ceremony to represent Tripura and the Left Front government."
Chowdhury, a member of the CPI-M central committee, will leave for Delhi on Sunday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Arvind Kejriwal takes U-turn on water promise, says BJP
- PM Modi breaks silence on Dadri lynching incident
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Rahul Gandhi takes potshot at PM Narendra Modi's fashion sense - Watch
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!