Tripura CM urges Chidambaram for more BSF
Agartala: Tripura Chief Minister Manik
Sarkar has urged Union Home Minister P Chidambaram to increase
the strength of Border Security Force (BSF) along Indo-Bangla
border to check the movement of insurgents.
"Insurgents of North-East who are based in Bangladesh
are using Tripura border as their corridor. Increasing BSF`s
strength and building more border outposts (BOPs) is necessary
for effectively guarding the border," he told reporters today.
He met Chidambaram on Saturday and discussed security
of the state and North-East.
Sarkar, who also holds the home portfolio in Tripura,
said there have been 16 battalions of BSF currently deployed
in 856-km Tripura border and 14 more battalions were needed to
properly guard the frontier.
He stressed that the current gap of 4.5 km between two
BOPs should be reduced to 2.5 km.
The Chief Minister also requested Centre for sanction
of two more battalions of Tripura State Rifles (TSR) for
effectively launching offensive against the insurgents of the
Sarkar also demanded sanctioning of Rs 3,000 by Centre
to each Special Police Officer (SPO) as salary instead of Rs
1500. SPO is a special contingent of police to help regular
security forces in combating insurgency in the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Lal Bahadur Shastri's mysterious death
- Bihar will celebrate two Diwalis in 2015, one will be after poll results: Modi
- DNA: Analysis of Prime Minister Modi's rapidfire politics on Gandhi Jayanti
- Is Mahatma Gandhi's name slowly fading away from the minds of the youth?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- World can now see consequences of Pakistan occupation in PoK: India
- Indrani Mukerjea's condition critical due to drug overdose; Maha govt orders inquiry
- ISL 2015: Chennaiyin FC vs Atletico de Kolkata - Preview
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Jhalak Dikhhla Jaa Reloaded: Shahid reveals about meeting Aishwarya