Tripura Congress leader gets three-month jail
Agartala: A court in Tripura Monday awarded three months` imprisonment to senior Congress leader and former minister Birajit Sinha for violating the arms act in a double-murder case that rocked the state July 20, 2004.
Sinha is a sitting Congress legislator since 1988 and a former member of the All India Congress Committee.
"The district and sessions judge of northern Tripura`s Unokoti district, Gautam Debnath pronounced the judgment in a packed court (in Kailashahar), sentencing three months` jail and a fine of Rs.1,000 to Sinha on arms act involving killing of two people," public prosecutor Pradip Deb told reporters.
On July 20, 2004, during a by-poll of gram panchayat, a major clash and firing occurred between opposition Congress and ruling CPI-M (Communist Party of India-Marxist) supporters at Babur Bazar area in northern Tripura.
In the firing, two people -- a CPI-M activist Abdul Hannan and Sinha`s personal security guard Nikhil Deb -- were killed.
Sinha, who was a panchayat and rural development minister during the Congree-led alliance government (1988-1993) and former president of Tripura Congress party, was carrying a licensed pistol that day.
"Sinha was accused of carrying additional quantities of cartridges of his pistol than the stipulated numbers. Return firing was also done from his pistol," the public prosecutor said.
The court also awarded two and a half years` sentence and a fine of Rs.2,000 to slain CPI-M activist Abdul Hannan`s father Abdul Rahman, 70, for inciting the mob that day.
However, both the parties told the reporters they would move the higher court against the district court judgment.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India