Tripura editor found guilty in triple murder case
Agartala: An Agartala court on Monday found a Tripura newspaper editor-cum-owner guilty in a year-old triple murder case, a government lawyer said.
Kripankur Chakraborty, additional district and sessions judge of west Tripura district, held Sushil Choudhury guilty of killing three of his employees May 19, 2013.
"Choudhury is found guilty under sections 120 (B), 109, 302, 113, 111 and 201. Under these sections, the maximum punishment could be either death sentence or life imprisonment," special public prosecutor Dilip Sarkar told reporters after the judgment in a packed court.
He said the judge would announce the quantum of punishment July 17.
Choudhury, 72, editor-cum-owner of Bengali daily Dainik Ganadoot, along with one of his woman employees was arrested weeks after the murder of three employees.
A large number of journalists and others were gathered in the court complex.
Choudhury was the main accused. Niyoti Ghosh, wife of Balaram Ghosh, the slain driver of the newspaper`s office vehicle, turned approver in the case and was let off.
Niyoti`s husband, manager Ranjit Choudhury, a former BSF employee, and proof reader Sujit Bhattacharjee were murdered in the newspaper`s office in the heart of the capital city.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- ATM virus attack: Users of debit cards under threat!
- J&K govt suspends 12 officials on anti-national activities
- Bhubaneswar fire: Owner of SUM Hospital surrenders
- Delhi Police may arrest Kabaddi player Rohit over wife's suicide
- Politics over Mahesh Sharma's visit to Ayodhya museum site ahead of UP elections
- Airtel takes on Reliance Jio yet again; offers 10GB of 4G data at just Rs 259
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you
- 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' release: I stand with Bollywood, why punish Pakistani artistes, says Digvijay Singh
- Man divorces wife after seeing her first time without make-up!